background

Sunday, August 2, 2009

52 books in 52 weeks...

...or maybe not.

I was just stalking over to life in grace's blog and noticed her '52 books in 52 weeks' list. A novel concept (so to speak) but I don't have that kind of time for reading. But I thought I'd set a goal for myself to read as much as I can - and more than I have. Rather than picking 52 books I'd like to read, I'm going to list the books that I have, but have never read. If I'm not going to read them, I might as well give them away, right? There are some pretty cheesy ones in here...please forgive me. So, in no particular order:

A Clearing in the Distance by Witold Rybczynski
The One Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Song of Soloman by Toni Morrison
The Waterworks by EL Doctorow
Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
Personal History by Katharine Graham
A Reporter's Life by Walter Cronkite
Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch
Lazy B by Sandra Day O'Connor
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (made it about half way through this one a few years ago, but need to start over)
Under a Wing by Reeve Lindburgh
Open House by Elizabeth Berg
In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (read this as a kid, loved it, bought it on ebay a few years ago and am dying to re-read it)
The Winter of our Discontent by John Steinbeck
Heat and Other Stories by Joyce Carol Oates
Paradise by Toni Morrison

Okay okay...that's not all, but that's enough for now. Obviously, this is more of a life list.

What are YOU reading this summer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right now I'm reading "The Defining Moment - FDR's Hundred Days and teh Triumph of Hope". I don't read too much non-fiction, but I thought this was timely! I also try not to be a book snob, because I think it's so important that people read, and that includes just about anything! However, sometimes I pass on things that are too "fluffy" in my opinion. That being said I did just read "The Time Traveler's Wife", which made me sob for the last 150 pages, and it's considered "chick lit", but it was really well written, so...what do i know?!?! Oh, and you should totally read "The Great Gatsby" it's really good a short, easy read. You'll like it!