background

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ten projects in twenty days :: rosette cake



Welcome back!

Day Sixteen :: Project Eight

{phew!  only two more to go!}


I've been seeing lots of these around the blog world and have been dying to give it a try.  Not that I need an excuse to bake a cake...

My inspiration - and the buttercream frosting recipe - came from i am baker.  Her tutorial is awesome and really gave me the courage to try it myself.  And, honestly, it was super easy.  





I cheated a little and used cake mix (lemon) and pre-made vanilla pudding for the in-between layer.  Instead of the vanilla that the recipe calls for, I used lemon extract.  If you make it, take it easy on the lemon extract.  Her recipe calls for a tablespoon of vanilla.  I used two teaspoons of the lemon.  Start with 1 teaspoon and add more to your liking. 







So easy and so pretty!  Mine was certainly not perfect, but still gorgeous and delicious!

I made this cake for my friend Amy's baby shower (again...like I needed an excuse!)





"M" is for sweet baby Madelyn

The Spread...





The Recipe
(courtesy of i am baker)


~~~



THE BEST BUTTERCREAM
2 cups shortening8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
6 fluid ounces heavy cream
In a large bowl, cream shortening with mixer until fluffy.  Add confectioners sugar (2 cups at a time) until well blended.  If the frosting gets to thick at any time you can add some of your heavy cream.
Add salt, vanilla, and heavy cream and blend until combined, then blend on high until frosting is light and fluffy.  If you need to add additional cream you can. (up to 2 tablespoons)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come play with me...



I link up to the parties shown on the right side of this here blog - under Linky Love. Check them out...they're the greatest! :}

4 comments:

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

That's one great looking cake.

Dee

Little City Farm said...

Oh wow, you did a fabulous job. I seriously want to eat that cake right now. Right now!!!!

michele said...

yum!

found you via brambleberrycottage and think you might appreciate my shabby chic giveaway here:

http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/rachel-ashwell-on-creating-authentic.html

come visit anytime!

michele

Angela @ Our Family Journey said...

Wow, this is beautiful!!! You did an amazing job! Saw you on DIY Crafts and other projects.