background

Friday, January 6, 2012

The way it should be...

Our daughter's kindergarten teacher sent this note - entitled "Thoughts on Report Cards" - home in her backpack today:


Dear Mom and Dad,


In a few days, I'm going to bring home a "snapshot" of myself.  This picture will be a time exposure of me that's been developing during the past months.  Considering my many likes and dislikes, my mood changes from day to day, I think it's a pretty good likeness of me.


When you see my snapshot, remember this is a report of someone near and dear to you.  So, please don't get too uptight if you see a blemish.  I hope you will accept me as I am.


Please do not picture me as being better than all the other children.  Remember that all children do not learn to talk or walk at the same time, nor do they learn math and reading at the same rate.  I ask you not compare me with my brother, my sister, or the kid next door.  You can set realistic goals for me, but please be careful not to push me to succeed at something that is beyond my ability.


I want you to understand that my report card is a picture of my school progress.  When you meet with my teacher, you will learn many things about my life at school, even some things that might surprise you.


My teacher knows me as I am at school.  You know how I am at home.  The "real" me is somewhere in between.  When these to pictures become blended with acceptance and understanding, I hope my "snapshot" will be a shining portrait.


Your Child




Isn't that awesome?  Love her!

No comments: